Tuesday 6 November 2012

Apple Season


I love Apples, but what I love more is visiting the Orchard, Perry Court Farm, near my Mum's house in the beautiful Stour Valley. I love September and October for the sheer abundance of Apples - knowing I can stock up on natures finest and put them to all sorts of uses. So far this year I have made lots of Apple based cakes such as the perennial favourite Apple and Cinnamon and Apple Muffins but I have also thrown Apple into other Muffins like a Gingerbread Muffin. We've also made lots of warming crumbles. But soon it will be the turn of Chutneys and Sauces so I can have the Apple goodness in the depth of Winter. 


They've been growing fruit and vegetables in a responsible way for three generations and they really do produce good food. None of this perfect fruit malarkey, just as it should be - all different shapes and sizes. I love this Orchard for their sheer variety of Apples. Our favourites so far have been Katy, Windsor and Lord Lambourne. They have a tasting table so you can try before you buy, selecting the tastiest Apple variety. They also do exceptionally reasonably priced Apple Juice, just perfect cold or warmed with some Orange zest and a Cinnamon Stick.



What I wasn't expecting on our last visit to the Orchard was these little fellows...They were quite happily sat in the Car Park and it was quite amusing seeing the Cars parked all over the place to avoid them! And boy were they noisy!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm feeling quite peckish for some gingerbread after reading this post.
Love the photo of the geese.
Lisa x

ALoadofOldTat said...

Not far from us and we haven't made a visit other than to buy in the Goods Shed Canterbury. Must put on my list for a visit sometime soon.

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

Bet it smells lovely! :)

Lynne said...

BRILLIANT! I love it when someone bangs the drum for British produce, and I feel very strongly about English apples Long may they continue to grow them...and you to make scrumptious edibles with them! Lx